13 May Don’t let the fall semester “leaf” you behind!
Start the WIOA Classroom Training scholarship grant process today!
You may be enjoying the spring’s blue skies and green grass, but you should be thinking about fall’s yellow leaves and crunchy brown grass underfoot, says your NCWorks Career Centers’ team.
Just as some high school students are receiving college acceptance letters to start their next life adventure in August or September, job-seekers who are interested in obtaining classroom training through the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) should also be thinking ahead. Fall admission deadlines at many institutions are rapidly approaching.
Through the WIOA, your NCWorks Career Centers can provide sponsorships for eligible and suitable clients to attend on-location or online classes. WIOA-sponsored classroom training program by must lead to an industry-recognized credential in a career area considered an occupation-in-demand. Industries with occupations currently on the list are business, finance and information; construction and engineering; healthcare; human services; manufacturing; and transportation and logistics.
To begin the WIOA classroom training scholarship grant process, you must first register and build a profile on NCWorks Online. Then attend an orientation at the NCWorks Career Center at 1401 W. Morehead St. or 5601 Executive Center Drive. Orientations are held multiple times throughout the day so you can simply walk in and attend the next available session.
Immediately after orientation, you’ll meet with a member of the NCWorks team who’ll talk with you about your job search needs and how we can best meet them. If, together, you determine that classroom training could be an option for you, s/he will share details on eligibility requirements, training options and providers, required documents and additional tasks to complete. S/he will guide you through each of the remaining steps of the process and be a resource and your advocate the whole way!
If you can’t attend an orientation by the end of June, your chances of completing the WIOA classroom training scholarship process and obtaining your training voucher for a program that begins in August or September will be slim.
Typically, you can expect to complete the WIOA intake process in approximately 30 days.
Remember: you are responsible for the amount of time it takes to complete the process. If you’re missing documents or don’t complete the additional tasks, you may have to schedule multiple appointments and thus will have delays.
Conversely, when you obtain all the required documents and complete all the tasks as and when requested, you’ll experience a much more efficient process.
Here are some other things you can do to help yourself through the process:
- Be proactive and prepared by researching training programs and schools on NCWorks Online.
- Always have a Plan B or C: look at alternate start-dates at your preferred training provider or find an alternate provider that has a different start date.
- Take advantage of the workshops (resume development, interview strategies) at your NCWorks Career Centers to bolster your chances of employment while working through the WIOA classroom training scholarship process. You can register for any workshop on NCWorks Online.
Things to know about WIOA Classroom Training
- You must have a minimum of a high school diploma or GED to qualify.
- The training in which you’re interested must be “in demand” in the Charlotte area. Your NCWorks Career Center team member will share our current list with you when you meet following orientation.
- There’s a limit to the funds you can get, both on annual and lifetime bases.
- Funds can be used for tuition, fees, books, tools and testing and certification fees.
- You must complete your training within six sequential semesters (two years) or less.
- Do not register for a class or make a payment commitment before you’ve met with our WIOA team and completed the enrollment process.
WIOA Classroom Training Fast Facts
(For the program year from July 1, 2015 through March 31, 2016; includes both classroom and on-the-job training; includes clients carried over from the previous program year)
- 565 clients served with WIA funding
- $1.72 million invested in training
Learn more about the WIOA classroom training scholarship grant program!