Impact your bottom line while improving the skills of your new hires with an On-The-Job Training (OJT) Grant!
On-The-Job Training (OJT) Grants target business needs by training newly hired employees in skilled positions.
Participating Mecklenburg County employers are reimbursed 50 to 90 percent of the salaries ($6,000 to $20,000) of their OJT trainees while these new employees learn their new jobs on the job. The results are employees with increased knowledge and value to the company and a company that is more competitive both regionally and globally.
The percentage and length of time of the reimbursement (typically three to six months) varies based on the size of the employer and the training required for newly hired employees to reach full productivity.
Charlotte Works’ OJT team will provide technical assistance throughout the application, recruitment and trainee-enrollment processes.
Since July 1, 2013, we’ve assisted 27 businesses in training 35 OJT Grant-funded newly hired employees!
Want to learn more? Attend an OJT Orientation for Employers on Wednesday, May 21, from 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. at the Employer Engagement Center (1401 W. Morehead St., Suite 100, Charlotte, NC 28208).
At this free session, you’ll
- learn more about the OJT Grant and processes;
- be armed with helpful hints, tools and technical assistance on how to successfully recruit for and hire an OJT Grant-funded trainee; and
- meet our staff and local business representatives that have successfully leveraged OJT Grants.
Your company is eligible if it is
- located in Mecklenburg County,
- either a for-profit or not-for-profit company,
- current on all federal and state tax obligations,
- financially viable and
- has at least one payroll employee.
Reimbursable training costs are
- 50 to 90 percent of the wage/salary of each OJT trainee, depending on the size of your company.
- 10 to 26 weeks of reimbursement, depending on the skills gap of the OJT trainee(s).
The types of positions that can be funded include
- full-time, probationary- to permanent-payroll positions.
- positions that require 10 or more weeks of intensive, company-provided, supervised training so that the trainee attains proficiency.
Read some of our OJT success stories: